- Posted on 05/05/2011 by Mary
Alli's nose, meet Clare's beeswax.
This may or may not have just been some Munro-lust working its way into people's judgment about the E-Clare break-up, but this post on the Degrassi board got me thinking...
"Who Does Alli Think She Is? Excuse me, but Eli and Alli haven't even talked this whole season, yet Alli has had such a big influence on Eli and Clare's relationship!! Like don't try and put ur 2 cents in Alli!" - Kira<3'sMunroChambers
I know in real life, friends can get put in some pretty uncomfortable predicaments when they donate their opinions about a friend's relationship. Such as:
1) You tell your friend that their bf/gf is bad for them; they get angry at you instead of the bf/gf... even if you're right. Sometimes because you're right -- because it's too hard to admit.
2) Your friend complains and complains and complains about their bf/gf. They finally break up. You say things like "good riddance" and "they were never good enough for you" and "I always hated them." Then they get back together... and now you're the friend who hates their bf/gf. Oy.
3) You tell your friend, "I don't know, the way they did that to you seems pretty manipulative/shady/whatever." Next fight your friend has with their bf/gf, they're like "Well my friend YOUR NAME HERE says that that was manipulative." Guess who gets an earful from the bf/gf next time you bump into each other?
But... think about Alli's side of that E-Clare thing. Your best friend is in a relationship she doesn't want to be in anymore, but is having trouble ending it because she feels guilty, doesn't want to hurt him, etc. Isn't it kind of the job of a friend to say, "Hey, you need to look after yourself here"... to support your friend who's having trouble doing something difficult but necessary?
So... what do you say when a friend is going through something with their bf/gf. Weigh in? Keep your mouth shut? How do you handle it with YOUR friends?
- Posted on 05/04/2011 by Mary
If you didn't already hear, today's the National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. I know, every day should be the Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, but today's the day we make SURE we talk about it.
On TeenNick, we're showing the episodes of Degrassi where Jenna, KC, Liberty, and JT faced those terrifying little pink lines: positive pregnancy tests.
JT, Liberty, Jenna, and KC are some of the Degrassi characters who have faced teen pregnancy
One thing we've learned on Degrassi (or maybe you've learned it just by looking around at your high school) is that teen pregnancy isn't caused by being "a certain kind of person."
Liberty and Jenna are pretty different characters -- the responsible, brainiac, "innocent" student council-er vs. the singing cheerleader who encouraged her boyfriend to cheat on his math test.
And JT and KC have some major differences too (even if they both went by initials) -- the slightly dorky, happy-go-lucky jokester vs. the emotionally tortured, all-star jock with a brain.
But they all have one major thing in common: they faced an unplanned pregnancy.
Over on the StayTeen.org website, they've got a "Myth Monsters" game to help you bust through the myths surrounding teen sex, birth control, and pregnancy. Or if you don't feel like going through the whole game, you can just check out their list of common myths like "Everyone is doing it" and "You can't get pregnant if..."
To that list of myths, I just want to add...
MYTH: "Only bad/bratty/boyfriend-stealer/promiscuous girls get pregnant."
Pregnancy is a result of sex, not of "goodness" or "badness". Anyone who has unprotected or poorly protected sex can end up facing the same life-changing problem.
- Posted on 05/01/2011 by Mary
This year... right now... May Day is Jay Day!
The day we randomly, for no particular reason -- other than that we saw #JayDay getting discussed by Degrassi fans (such as @DegrassiDaily and @HeatherPoulette) on Twitter a lot and we're as obsessed with Jay as anyone and come on, Mike Lobel is stupid hot -- talk a whole heck of a lot about Jay and how awesome he was/is and how much we LOVED the Degrassi Mini where his secret identity was revealed:
Before Fitz, or Owen, or even DiMarco... there was Jay.
Untrustworthy (at first)...
Kinda skeevy in a hot way...
Resourceful if not academically successful...
And frankly kind of a d-bag for a couple years there and did some messed up stuff that we have decided to pretend never happened because we like Mike Lobel...
And also because he was: Funny...
Good with cars...
A decent friend... sometimes... eventually...
And a big ol' softie when it came down to it.
Tell us in the comments, what do YOU love about Jay?
If you had to choose between Jay and waffles with ice cream, which would you choose?
How many Jays would it take to screw in a lightbulb?
If a Jay fell in the woods and there was no one there to hear, would he make out with me?
Remember that time I told Mike Lobel I loved him and he was cool about it because he's so nice?
What would you wear on your first date with Jay?
What's your favorite color shirt for Jay to wear?
Remember how saucy he was in the "On the Set" video from Degrassi Goes Hollywood?
How many times do you want to watch "Redemption Song" (the one where Jay goes to Bible camp) right now?
Is JayDay weirding you out? It's ok. You can just close your eyes and pretend it's not happening while the rest of us dance around the Jay fire in coveralls and practice our fancy British accents and our knowing smirks.
OH LOOK! Here are way too many pictures of Jay!
Jay Hogart and Emma Nelson, in nature.
Jay Hogart (or is that Mike Lobel?), about to melt the lockers with his hotness.
Mike Lobel, ruining a camera's life because it will never take a picture that hot again (left) and with BFF Cassie Steele (right).
Jay Hogart and his lucky leading ladies
Did we mention he's good with cars?
Jay Hogart, in one of the most oft-cited "most intense moments" of Degrassi
- Posted on 04/26/2011 by Mary
- Posted on 04/25/2011 by Mary
You probably smelled weird, guzzled way too much gas, and your repairs were no doubt frequent, costly, and time-consuming -- not to mention the whole "eugh" factor of your uh, former job...
But you were a goodly little (big) hearse, and we will miss your presence on Degrassi.
Fare thee well, old friend (and I do mean OLD), as you join all those other dearly departed whom you used to ferry to their final resting places.
Morty, Clare, and Eli, in happier times, on Degrassi
Please add any words of remembrance you'd like to share in the comments.
- Posted on 04/23/2011 by Lisa
"You scare me, Eli. I can't be around you." I just rewatched this scene, and it still upsets me:
If you don't see a video above this sentence, click here to watch it.
The moment when Clare realizes that Eli crashed Morty for her is so disturbing. (The idea that Eli thought an awesome, self-confident, intelligent girl like Clare would be impressed by that shows how messed up in the head he is right now, doesn't it?) And when he grabbed her arm, I felt terrified for her.
Do you think Eli will get help? Or is he headed to an even scarier place? I guess we'll find out this summer...
- Posted on 04/23/2011 by Mary
Next month, Buffy hits TeenNick.
Either that sentence gave you heart palpitations of super-stokedness (as it did for me and Lisa), or you are one of the luckiest people on Earth... because you're about to discover one of the best TV shows.
BTVS is coming to TeenNick in May
- Posted on 04/22/2011 by Lisa
Here's a list of the songs from Drop the World, pt. 2:
"Head Over Heels" by Digital Daggers
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
"Shake Suga Shake" by Codi Jordan
"Running" by The Jefferson
"Ignite" by Ali Pierre
"Stupid Boy" by Lisha Cash
"A Little Bit (reloaded)" by Alexz Johnson
"Big Love" by Parlovr
"Don't Be Deceived" by Philip LaRue
- Posted on 04/22/2011 by Mary
SPOILAGE BELOW. Click here to watch the full "Drop the World, pt. 2" episode before reading any further!
Clare reacts to Eli on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Drop the World pt. 2
1) Well... those of us lucky enough not to get the finale spoiled for us sure did get a scare tonight... what did you think??
2) I know some people were feeling kind of anti-Clare because of her pulling away from Eli... but you've gotta admit, staying with someone out of fear for how they'll handle it probably is a horrible basis for a relationship. Given how unstable Eli was in these last two episodes... do you think Clare Clare really could have stayed with him?
3) I have to admit I kind of didn't get why Anya was so insistent that Holly J needed to know about Fiona's crush on her. Obviously spilling the beans behind her back was not the best Friend Move ever, but... do you think Anya was right that Holly J needed to know about the crush?
4) How would you handle it (or have you handled it) if someone whom you loved as a friend -- but whom you could never be romantically interested in -- had a crush on you?
5) You know, for some reason it only dawned on me in this episode, as I was wondering why Bianca was at the "bachelor party" -- Bianca has zero female friends. Unless those other girls in the background of the scene were friends of hers. I know some girls just prefer guys as friends... would you be comfortable at a party where you were the only girl/guy?
6) Eeeeee Degrassi's coming back this summer! High five!
- Posted on 04/21/2011 by Lisa
If you can't possibly wait till tomorrow to see the first scene of Drop the World, pt. 2... here you go.
If you were Clare, how bad would you be freaking out right now?
Watch the rest, FRIDAY NIGHT AT 9pm ET!